From: Rick In Davis <rickindavis@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Pro
CC:
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:03:23 -0800 (PST)
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

 When I first started playing harp lo these many years ago I got advice
to study the styles of the masters like the two Walters.  I was way
too smart for that.  "I want to develop my OWN style," I said.

Somewhere along the way I got dumber and Big Walter Horton
got a lot smarter.  Don't sneer at copying "riffs from the 1940's."
That is how blues harp is played, and that is how you learn.
You earn the right to create your own style only after you pay
serious homage to the masters.  If there is no Chicago DNA
 in your style, your tone suffers.

-Rick