Re: [Harp-L] Red Archibald RIP

Man, am I sorry to hear this!

I remember the benefit a few years back at Biscuits and Blues to raise
money for treatment of his deteriorating spinal condition. A veritable
who's who of harmonica in the Bay Area was there, including Michael
Peloquin. I specifically remember RJ Mischo amd pianist Wendy deWitt as
well, though I'm sure that I've forgotten many other luminaries.

At the time it didn't seem like anything he could beat. But about a
year and a half ago I saw him at a Jason Ricci show, again at Biscuits.
To be sure, he was not the dashing Red Knight of old, but he was still
loving the music and full of humor and grace. We were happy to see one
another and our greeting was a warm one. That was the last I saw him.

Red never seemed to have a huge amount of ego about his playing, he
just loved doing it. He wasn't rigid about established styles. He
included overbends in his playing without making a big deal of it and
mixed classic blues with stylistic borrowings from other genres.

I was just thinking about him recently too, wondering how he was doing.
Now I know. Rest in peace, Red.

Winslow

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/07/MNARCHIBAL1.DTL