Re: [Harp-L] Where to purchase comb materials?/OLD Gifted MusicianThread

Beeswax is available from a variety of sources. I first got a biscuit
of the stuff from a bagpipe supply house. You can often find blocks and
sheets of beeswax for candle making in hobby, craft, and art supply
shops as well. Perhps less offputting than, uh, plumbing supplies (also
the "mostly" beeswax leads me too wonder what the rest of it might be).

I'm curious about your combo idea. The Discrete Comb allows individual
reed selection at the front of the harp via embouchure, while the
Overdrive allows it at the back of the harp via fingers. Each has its
advantages and disadvantages. If your idea can minimize some of the
disadvantages while keeping the required actions simple, you may have
something.

Winslow

--- Will Vogtman <will_vogtman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
>   1.  Some of the finer woodwind mouthpieces are still made of hard
> rubber.  There are a few custom carvers out there.
>
>   2.  I did read the study here on harp-l about the comb materials.
> I'm looking more for feel in my hand and on my lips.  I also have a
> few ideas combining WInslow's discrete comb with ideas from the
> Suzuki Overdrive I want  to try.
>
>   3.  The reason why I ask about "food grade" bee's wax . . . .
>   A few people locally have directed me toward toilet bowl/floor
> gaskets made of primarily beeswax. I don't really wanna eat that.
>
>   Thanks again!

<snip>

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.