[Harp-L] Pro, or No

>From the list below, taken from Webster's Online Dictionary http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary ,

As we pick and choose from the various meanings of the term "professional", we can see that the term "professional" can be loosely interpreted, as in the first definition, as simply "one that engages in a pursuit or activity". I don't imagine this is what is being discussed here.

Otherwise, there is the "professional attitude", as described under "adjective", "c", both "1" and "2". I believe this is what Gary (Sonny Jr.) referred to as a "pro".

Then, there is the matter of "professional" versus "non-professional", relating to one's primary source of income and financial support.

However, concerning Jason Ricci, the majority opinion, due to his employment status at the time of said contest, remains, not "unprofessional" (as in a "jerk"), but merely "not yet professional", referring specifically to income, as the terms of involvement in said contest.

As to his attitude, courtesy, and demeanor,,all seem to me to be quite professional, unlike others perhaps not displaying the same courtesy, attitude, pleasant demeanor, and ethical standard.

Function: noun

: one that is professional; especially : one that engages in a pursuit or activity

Function: adjective

1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c  (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession  (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

Bob Laughlin

Associate Partner for Dewey, Cheatem, and Howell