RE: [Harp-L] Mars contest/what constitutes a pro

Larry and Jason,

Thank You for providing the harmonica community with a really cool "beef".

I'll preface by saying I don't personally know either of the two men. Only their playing. Although, Larry you did snub me at SPAH when I was just a kid because I couldn't overblow yet... You probably don't remember -- but I do. It's all good though.

It seems that It's clear that Jason is a "pro" player right now and also presents himself as a professional. At the time the Mars contest was held, he wasn't a pro and hadn't been in the past. It seems that there isn't anyone better to judge that than the Mars officials and Jason has provided facts that they did their homework on his status of pro or not pro.

One thing that is NOT clear to me is why Larry felt the need to point out that he feels Jason WAS a "pro" at that time. Did Larry lose to Jason? What other reason is there? Seems that Jason's challenge to provide some proof of his own or dispute Jason's proof is reasonable. It's also clear looking at this rationaly that Larry, your beef should be (7 years ago...) with the MARS PEOPLE. They set the standard.

I'm just offering my opinion and observations. No disrespect meant to anyone.

Peace,
Noah

www.viciousaloysius.com

----Original Message Follows---- From: jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: [Harp-L] Mars contest/what constitutes a pro Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:30:22 -0800

Larry that really hurt man....Anyone that knows me can say a lot of negative things about me ..but dishonest has never been one, at leats not since I got sober..

The Mars Contest. I think was the year 2000. It was suggested to me that I enter the contest by the band leader of a local band I was playing with in south FL at the time called the Nucklebusters mainly for the purpose of winning an amp which at the time I did not have. The rules for entering the contest WERE You must be an amatuer player not a pro. I aked at Mars in very clear language several times what constitutes a Pro? Their responce each time was someone that makes less than half of their money each year from music and one who has never had a record deal. they even became annoyed at me and thought I was some how bragging becuase I keptmentioning the Nucklebusters. At the time and for one year prior to the contest I was working at a local record store in Lake worth fl and gigging weekly with a local band, incidently former harmonica players from that local band and other rival local bands were in the contest along side me......prior to that I had been working at a restaurant in Del ray for a year and that year I didn't play one show for money the whole year....prior to that I had lived and played with Junior Kimbrough, had been to Europe, had made money in the past from music...With Junior I made 30.00 dollars a week 100.00 if I was lucky and I sold drugs to make a living. When I went to Europe and toured I had to take a vacation from my job at Rich's Deparment store in maine as a stock boy to go when I got back from Euorope my Job was gone so I began work at a dry cleaners. The list goes back and back like that! I always had day jobs up until I got the gig with Big Al and the Heavy Weights two or three years after that...Tons of the Mars harmonica contestestents worked weekend gigs as well and thats all I was or had been doing...If I ever made a living from music prior to that it was because I was making way more selling dope and did't have to get a regular job...Both CD's I had made in 95 and 97 were self produced with Mom and I's money 500 of each were made and most were sent to clubs,labels, radio stations and friends in an attempt to be a pro.

Larry what bothers me is I thought we were friends and I once explained all this to you at a show I think, you should be more sure about facts before you accuse people of lying, cheating, etc.... Either you don't or won't believe it what I said...But do believe my feelings are hurt from your post...
I had to deal with enough of this from players that didn't win after I won in 2000 and the Mars Music Store took my pay stubs for the last year from the record store i was working at to prove to all those people that I had enterd under Kosher circumstances...so if you need more proof find their number cause they got the pay stubs...and the Rules were less than half your income from music

A Pro is some one who isn't bitter from harmonica a contest from 7 years ago. Sorry bout that but you had deserve it.