Re: [Harp-L] The Space (was: wanna be)

On Jan 17, 2007, at 1:14 AM, moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:

I have in the past experimented with various methods to deal with chronic performance anxiety, or stage fright as it's commonly known. Biofeedback, self-hypnosis, booze, medication.... all have helped to varying degrees, but it remains a problem for me and probably always will. However, on occasion, I will get myself into a place mentally where things work and I can actually produce some music. If that's "The Space," I wish I could figure out how to find it more often.

I have found Zen practice very helpful with stage fright. I used to get very nervous before going up on stage. Nowadays, my pre- performance routine always includes meditation. One of the aims of meditation is to help you practice being present in the moment. Whenever thoughts and feelings arise, you watch them come and you watch them go but you don't hold on to them. That enables us to focus on the task at hand, not what happened at the last gig, not our feelings of inadequacy, not our feelings of superiority, not our fear of bombing. Just music, just the audience, just now, 100 percent.

That's the space. It's always there waiting for us.

The practice has helped me so much that just last week I was able to perform a song I'd written at the bar moments before stepping on stage with musicians I don't often play with. I took the stage with the lyrics written on the back of a flyer and a big smile. I looked at the audience, clued them in, begged their indulgence, and we launched into it. It wasn't perfect but it was really fun.

I don't think that would have been possible for me before Zen practice.

Bob

Bob Cohen
Principal, MojoTools Web Design
Blues Harmonica Lessons