Re: [Harp-L] The Space (was: wanna be)

None of these psychologies and philosophies work if you're not the one in control. These motivational speakers are blathering at you from a position of being the one IN authority. Then when YOU go to work their magic, it doesn't work. They spin dream webs. (and people pay to hear it)
smo-joe

On Jan 17, 2007, at 1:14 AM, moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:

I have in the past experimented with various methods to deal with chronic performance anxiety, or stage fright as it's commonly known. Biofeedback, self-hypnosis, booze, medication.... all have helped to varying degrees, but it remains a problem for me and probably always will. However, on occasion, I will get myself into a place mentally where things work and I can actually produce some music. If that's "The Space," I wish I could figure out how to find it more often.
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp in Minnesota, after all these years.

-----Original Message-----
From: icemanle@xxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 9:32 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] The Space (was: wanna be)

Kenny Werner did a seminar at IAJE entitled "Playing from The Space". ("Kenny
explains how to detach from the mundane aspects of playing such as comparing
one's self with others or seeking self esttem, in order to transcend limited
goals and allow one's spirit to do the playing." said the program).

To jump start the audience's understanding, he had them close their eyes and
focus on their breathing - in and out, in and out, for 2 minutes. When they
opened their eyes, he asked "Do you feel different?" It calmed the whole room
and gave everyone a glimpse of "The Space". A great introduction to help explain
a difficult subject.

The Iceman

-----Original Message----- From: mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx

The greats all played from the space. The space is where you let go of concious

thought and all preconceived notions. The music just plays itself. That's
where Miles Davis played from. The first step to finding the space is letting
go of your ego. Wanting to be great is an easy way to fall into the trap of
over thinking.

Don't worry about the destination..focus on the journey.

You can play some great stuff when playing for ego, but it will always be
short lived. The key is to enjoy all that you play from a distant viewpoint and

to not be critical of what you're doing.

_