[Harp-L] re:James Cotton

I saw James at Jazz Fest a few years back.  Played one
of those super sets with 5 or 6 different other harp
players, all well know harp players.  At the end they
all came up on stage for the grand finale.  They had 6
players and only 5 mics.  J Monque'D(spelling?) the
only local one on stage that was not a big name
happened to not get a mic.  He was standing around
looking kind of insuecure, not knowing just what to
do. Finally James Cotton handed him his mic and
grabbed a vocal mic.
j tried to give it back later, but James woudn't take
it. Still sounded better that anybody else.  Real
class act.

  Stan
> We're all so fussy about gear. And there he was.
Sounding like the
> > James Cotton on the records playing through
nothing fancy.  Very
> > humbling. I couldn't tell what kind of harps he
was playing but I'm
> > sure it wouldn't matter.  He'd still sound like
Cotton with
off-the-
> > shelf whatevers.
>
> i had a similar reaction when i saw him last fall.
it wasn't even
his
> own mic, just one of the knockaround vocal mics used
in the regular
> blues jam.  i suspect he could play a kazoo and he'd
still sound like
Cotton.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail