[Harp-L] A word about Sonny Jr, the man and his amps

Well Sonny Jr has been vocal lately - some may even see it as ranting, others will recognize it as stream-of-consciousness - but newcomers may be skeptical that what he says is true. I thought I would add my 2 cents. I met Sonny Jr. at an amp clinic at one of Dave Barrett's Harmonica Masterclass seminars. I have never met or heard of anyone with so much amp experience - and listening to Sonny Jr. talk you'd know it in 5 minutes. several folks had brought amps - he took us through each one, set it up right, blew through it, made suggestions about it, identified what was actually wrong with some after only 1 or 2 notes - it was obvious to everyone - he has been there, done that.

It was he who turned me on to the Kalamazoo amps as the best small practice/recording amp you could get - and he was right. I've made a small business out of buying those amps and getting them working right for customers, all of whom love it. But I digress. I sat in a class where Sonny Jr demonstrated Sonny Terry's style and played it for us - the whole audience sat stunned with jaws dropped. He really is the real deal.

And his amps rock, pure and simple. I bought a 410 from him a few years ago. I did so because I had already done my share of "amp chasing" and I was frustrated. Frankly, there are a lot of amps out there that just SUCK as harp amps. (There are also some other fine ones, of course, but they are the exceptions.) I didn't want to be like so many players I've met who bitch and moan about their tone (or lack thereof) and blame it on their equipment. I decided I wanted an amp I KNEW was good enough to never be able to use it as an excuse for my playing.

Looking back, it was the best money I ever spent on an amp. I became instantly better; in fact my tone through that amp, and peoples' response to it, led directly to my finally getting noticed, getting gigs and getting a great band together. May sound funny, but I KNOW the amp was part of that equation. My amp is the house harp amp at the Redwood City Blues Jam (rwcbluesjam.com) and has been played through by dozens of harp players - amateur and pro alike. Everyone loves it. It has been knocked over, kicked and yanked - but it has never failed me and still looks brand new. Amazing workmanship. His customer support has been incredible too - lots of help and quick responses to any questions I've had. So I sent Sonny Jr. my $$ to buy his new amp too - sight unseen. I ought to have a backup, right? And I trust his word. I should add that nobody asked me to write this and I have no business relationship with Sonny Jr. other than being an extremely satisfied customer. I think people speak publicly about vendors most when they're unhappy, but I like to to do the reverse.

/Greg
http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net