From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Steve Shaw
Sent: 14 January 2007 00:48
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Teflon

Why on earth would anyone want a harp with teflon-coated covers?   The
combination of pressed steel/stainless steel and reasonably-salivated lips
would seem to be just about perfect.  Dry lips which seize on the plates was
always a result of nerves when playing in public with me, something I was
lucky enough to get over years ago as confidence improved.   It came back to
haunt me somewhat when I was recording my CD - nerves again.  There's
nothing quite like that "time is money" feeling to get your nerves going!
The "other" problem of too-wet playing is usually caused by the fact that
I've just drunk something other than water, particularly sweet fruity drinks
or coke.  Beer does it to a lesser extent but I'm more than prepared to put
up with that, especially if I'm not driving and/or the beer is free.   For
years I had trouble adjusting to the slippery nature of Lee Oskars, so
anything even more slippery would be anathema to me.   I can't help thinking
that anyone lusting after teflon covers should instead be contemplating why
they are having trouble keeping their lips moist enough.  Plenty of practice
to quell nerves and a quick lick at natural phrasing points in the tune are
the way to go, the latter being something that needs practice in itself.