Re: [Harp-L] duos

fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    The Paul Pena who wrote Big Jet Airliner and recently died? fjm

Yes, Pena and Big Bones played in San Francisco and Oakland when I lived there from 85-93.  Paul sang Jet Airliner with all the cuss words.  He had a very low voice and was well known for Tuvan Throat singing and was featured in the documentary Genghis Blues.  He also was blind, which adds a lot to your blues cred, I don't care who you are.
  Big Bones was/is (?) a very large harp player who played both diatonic and chromatic and could do lots with the high notes and hand wah wahs.  He mostly played on the street, busking, sometimes with a pignose.  He also could sing and write tunes.  I saw him lead a night of full band electric blues once.  He told me often he was the greatest harp player in the world. Beyond the ego he was a very nice guy who really paid a lot of attention to the 17 to 21 year old me.  He always listened to my playing and gave advice and he let me sit in with the band.

  As a duo they had a least one recording of blues and spirituals "Live at the Freight and Salvage" a Berkeley club.  I have it buried in my tape collection.
  They also performed at the San Francisco Blues Festival.

  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com