Re: [Harp-L] popper

In a message dated 1/14/2007 3:13:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

      John Popper is one of the guys that makes me  practice. His style is
not what I want to do but he sure makes me be on my game.  To be honest when I
was young I tried to do the same thing he's doing right now.  I read somewhere
where his style is based on him wanting to play guitar so when  he does a lead
he's trying to play fast like a guitar does. I quit trying on the  harp it
was so hard and started doing it on the sax. I always wanted to play sax  to
Tommy Bolan's licks on Spectrom and lots of other stuff. Popper can rip, he's
one player that I can't just copy any time I want to. I tell people that I worry
 about tone more than Popper so I don't WANT to play like that. That's my
excuse  and I'm stickin' to it. YEEEE HAAAA
        Randy

John  Popper is an ORIGINAL
Little Walter was an ORIGINAL
two completely  different styles & genres
we need MORE originals and LESS  copycats......
To me, after listening to TONS of current blues bands with  harp
players who don't even try to develop
their "own" sound it  just gets too predictable, unoriginal and plain
BORING..... Mr.  Popper is a breath of FRESH air

Both have advanced our instrument  greatly, Bravo to BOTH.
best,
Rob Paparozzi