RE: [Harp-L] Teflon

Why on earth would anyone want a harp with teflon-coated covers? The combination of pressed steel/stainless steel and reasonably-salivated lips would seem to be just about perfect. Dry lips which seize on the plates was always a result of nerves when playing in public with me, something I was lucky enough to get over years ago as confidence improved. It came back to haunt me somewhat when I was recording my CD - nerves again. There's nothing quite like that "time is money" feeling to get your nerves going! The "other" problem of too-wet playing is usually caused by the fact that I've just drunk something other than water, particularly sweet fruity drinks or coke. Beer does it to a lesser extent but I'm more than prepared to put up with that, especially if I'm not driving and/or the beer is free. For years I had trouble adjusting to the slippery nature of Lee Oskars, so anything even more slippery would be anathema to me. I can't help thinking that anyone lusting after teflon covers should instead be contemplating why they are having trouble keeping their lips moist enough. Plenty of practice to quell nerves and a quick lick at natural phrasing points in the tune are the way to go, the latter being something that needs practice in itself.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm