[Harp-L] Re: Harp and Guitar duos

My favorite guitar harp duo is Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee. I've seen Madcat and Kane, and Annie Raines and Paul Rishell, and both were fantastic.

  I've been playing harp in a duo with a guitar player almost since I first started playing. To me, this is the ideal situation for the harp. The acoustic guitar and harmonica make a great combination. You never have to compete to be heard and can pretty much play as much or as little as you want ... or as the song wants. As individuals, neither of us are great players, there are better players everywhere we go. But the combination of guitar and harp in an acoustic setting is somewhat unique and audiences really get into it.

  One thing I'd like to add to the duo is percussion. I was wondering how many of you play some sort of percussion while playing harp? I've seen Madcat play his high-hat while playing harp. I do this too, and also sometimes a tambourine or shaker while playing harp with the other hand. But I only do this at home, I'm not yet consistent enough to take it out to a gig. It can be surprisingly hard to maintain a steady rhythm while playing harp. I find that I'm playing a lot of notes around the beat instead of on it and this can really throw off your rhythm when trying to hold steady on a high-hat or tambourine. I know ... more practice!

  Jim McBride