To: "'Harp L'" <Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 9:16 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: 9-string guitar

This is the first time I have ever seen any mention of a 9 string
guitar except for around my family. Can you tell me about it? My brother gave
me one for Christmas last year. It's the coolest Samick I have ever seen. It's
strung like a 12 string on the E, B, and G strings and single on the D, A,
and top E string. Made for slide but I had a very good friend (awesome blues
player) set it up so I could strum it and use it for coffee house gigs and
writing and such. It has the best neck of any acoustic I have ever owned, and I
have owned quite a few over the years. I can loosen the strings and put in a
nut extender and play slide on it too. I've looked all over the internet and
have never been able to find another one like it. Thanx

Joe Williams used a modified 6-string acoustic that had 3 additional pegs put into the top of the headstock (I believe he modified it himself) and a pickup attached. There is a picture of it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Joe_Williams

Charlie Musselwhite has some great stories about Big Joe -- he roomed with him in the 60s.

Tom Muck