Re: [Harp-L] Short review - Edirol R-09 digital recorder

I got the Zoom H4 for the same purposes, and I am similarly impressed.

-Rick

----- Original Message ----
From: Greg Heumann <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:21:08 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Short review - Edirol R-09 digital recorder

I recently bought a Roland Edirol R-09 pocket digital recorder. I
wanted it to record my band at practice and gigs for our own self-
critique - not to produce recordings. It is STUNNINGLY good for the
job. Easy to use, flexible. AGC or manual record level control. You
can learn more about it by googling it - but I just made a recording
for the purpose of letting people hear what a Kalamazoo sounds like
for my web site.

Unrehearsed, I just played a Jamie Abersold jam track on the stereo
in my living room and noodled for a few verses, trying to expose
open, loose and tightly cupped drive into the amp, with single notes,
chords and octaves. I wasn't trying for any compositional integrity!

Anyway, I think the recording quality was quite good. Although the
Edirol is capable of recording to .WAV, I recorded straight to MP3 at
low compression (44khz sample, 320Kbit) With the 2Gb memory card I
got with it for $29, that gives me over 13 hours of capacity!!!

The file is as it came straight out of the recorder, no post-processing.

Here it is:  http://www.blowsmeaway.com/sounds/ZOO_sample_2.MP3

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com