Re: [Harp-L] Help with positions in the harmonic minor tunning

Naming positions for alternate tunings can often present problems.

Lee has named the relative major position as second position and has
labeled position scales with familiar names of major-scale modes. But
this creates two problems:

- It deviates from the standard way of naming positions. C on an A
minor harp does not play anything like what players expect from second
position.

- It creates a false sense when you label scales as "major", "dorian"
and mixolydian" when they are not. These scales are models are derived
from a major scale. You cannot build them from a harmonic minor scale,
which has its own unique modes.

I think it would be better to stick with standard cycle-of-fifths
position names, even though all the scales will be a little strange.
Here are the positions and scales for notes that actually appear on an
A harmonic minor harp:

1st position: A harmonic minor A B C D E F G# A

2nd: E pseudo-flamenco E F G# A B C D E

3rd: B pseudo-diminished B C D E F G# A B

4th: F# pseudo-diminished F# G A B C D E F#

===

6th: G# pseudo-diminished G# A B C D E F

===

10th: C pseudo-augmented: C D E F G# A B C

===

12th: D #4-dorian: D E F G#A B C D

Now, if you told a player to play in second position, they could pick
up this harp, play in E, and have familiar second position motions
produce an exotic and colorful sound. Which was Lee's original
intention in creating his tunings.

Winslow