Re: [Harp-L] Wireless redux

I have the AKG unit (single version) and use the bug. Here's my 2 cents...

I have been happy with the unit although it is the only one I've tried. All my mics are outfit with 1/4" female Switchcraft jacks. I needed to screw on the extended male jack (it comes with the AKG) on the bug (not "bud") itself for the bug to stay in the mic.
The hinge cannot be adjusted as issued from the factory to my knowledge. In my case I cup my bullet shells in such a way as to leave the point exposed, which is where the antenna of the bug rests. It doesn't bother me at all. I wrap a rubber band around the bug's body and the Switchcraft connector to keep it from accidentally coming out of the jack. It stays in place enough for me to feel comfortable with the whole arrangement. One problem I have encountered is that the extended 1/4" male jack was coming loose due to a gradual counter turning of the threads while I was playing. I took it off, put a couple of TEMPORARY Loktite brand liquid thread lock on it and reassembled the unit. It totally solved the problem. I suppose if you wanted the bug to stay unfolded you could rig a splint using a popsicle stick and tape. Might not be pretty but it would probably work.

Some other comments:
> Is the G. Bud a single-frequency device?
I believe so. The unit comes with a battery compartment cover on the bug that is color coded to its particular frequency setting. They include an additional black one as a replacement.

> Or should I get a belt-mounted xmitter?
Some love them. I hate them. You choose.

> Should I worry about having only a single-frequency unit (cheaper, I presume),
> or should I go for the AKG "Flexx" model with multi-frequency transmission in
> order to avoid cosmic convergence of radio signals/drop-outs/UHF TV re-runs?

A single frequency hasn't been a problem to me as far as bleed from TVs, radios, etc. One thing I would suggest is that you check with anyone else in your band who has a wireless rig to make sure you don't buy a unit in the same frequency as they have.

> Bonus question: are some frequency ranges more likely to be crowded than others?
I dunno.

> Seeking to be untethered so I can roam around to find good monitor, and even
> hide behind the amps to avoid flying longnecks,

I like the wireless rig because you can step out into the audience area during sound checks and here how the harp and other band instruments are mixing live. I also like being able to get out of feedback zones at will. No more tangled cords or worrying about feet on crowded stages yanking my mic.

A last comment about the bug: It is cool to be able to switch the bug to "standby" or "off" and swap out mics silently.