Re: [Harp-L] Latest Dylan controversy

On 1/8/2007 1:05:29 PM, Winslow Yerxa (winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> You know the saying, "here's no such thing as bad publicity."
>
> Instead of an aging harmonica nerd (hey, I'm just looking in the
> mirror)

Reminds me of a line from one of my son's songs... "We move on even if it hurts... Have the power to break the curse... Said so yourself in the mirror the other day." Aging we all have to cope with, but at least we can try to do something labels, especially those we tag on ourselves. The best thing to me about "nerds" is they're usually rather nice folk, and that makes them way OK in my book.

> we get image of a "tall, dark-haired" harmonica player caught up
> in the heady swirl of Andy Warhol and early '60s folk in New York.
> And the harmonica player is something of a bad boy, bad enough to
> rattle Dylan.

I agree completely it's hard to call any publicity "bad publicity", but I did reread my post's late night typing and saw it may have not been clear in one sense. What I hoped to convey was "When it comes to Dylan, it's truly annoying how it always seems to be about the 'harmonica-playing folk singer'." Hope that clears my statements up somewhat.

> I'm not so sure this is bad for the harmonica.

Probably not.

> Might add a little edge and romance to the overall image and
> attract a few energetic, creative folks.

Attract them to what? Dylan or harmonica? Or Dylanesque harmonica? Or promiscuous relationships with harmonica-player groupies? Can female harpers play? ;-) !!!

Happy New Year, Winz!
May you get all the publicity you want or need!

Cheers!
Bobbie