[Harp-L] Short review - Edirol R-09 digital recorder

I recently bought a Roland Edirol R-09 pocket digital recorder. I wanted it to record my band at practice and gigs for our own self- critique - not to produce recordings. It is STUNNINGLY good for the job. Easy to use, flexible. AGC or manual record level control. You can learn more about it by googling it - but I just made a recording for the purpose of letting people hear what a Kalamazoo sounds like for my web site.

Unrehearsed, I just played a Jamie Abersold jam track on the stereo in my living room and noodled for a few verses, trying to expose open, loose and tightly cupped drive into the amp, with single notes, chords and octaves. I wasn't trying for any compositional integrity!

Anyway, I think the recording quality was quite good. Although the Edirol is capable of recording to .WAV, I recorded straight to MP3 at low compression (44khz sample, 320Kbit) With the 2Gb memory card I got with it for $29, that gives me over 13 hours of capacity!!!

The file is as it came straight out of the recorder, no post-processing.

Here it is: http://www.blowsmeaway.com/sounds/ZOO_sample_2.MP3

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com