Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Suggestions for minor key practice

Elizabeth wrote:
> > Tim Moyer writes (snipped):
> > "If you go to my band's MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/itpband)
> > site there are some live recordings
>
> .....wow...I had no idea THAT's the kind of music you played.
> Where Jazz meets the Blues, indeed! Great stuff!....and the
> kind of music  I've been looking for (on harmonica).  Do you
> play purely diatonic  (of your own construct)?
> .....do you ever half-valve them like PT does? or  are there any
> chromatics ever in the mix?  Inquiring minds (and this chromatic
> player) would love to know.....

Thanks for the kind words, Elizabeth.  This is a tough gig to find
for a diatonic harmonica player, because most jazz players won't
give you the credibility to try it on diatonic(s).  I am very
fortunate that our guitarist and I had played together years before
either of us was ready for material like this, and when we finally
got together he never questioned my ability to cover any of this
stuff.  It's been way too much fun, and I feel like a trumpet player
more than a harmonica player, in this context.

I don't play chromatic, although I do own a few and keep telling
myself that someday I'll learn to make real music with it.  I love
my little 10-hole Hering, but have never used it at a gig.  I do,
however, play a few different tunings on the diatonic, and on a few
songs I switch harps during the song (Girl From Ipanema, Watch What
Happens).  I primarily use Paddy Richter tuned diatonics but
occasionally go to Melody Maker tunings for some major keyed
melodies as well as some minors, using 5th position.

As for choice of material, we just listen for stuff that sounds
like "us" and then try to work it up.  Sometimes it gets elaborate
(such as the trading of sections of the head in Moonglow), sometimes
it's all about me (playing both the head and the solos on Stolen
Moments or the aforementioned Girl From Ipanema), sometimes I just
get a few bars of solo (such as The Lady is a Tramp), but it's all
good.  And fun!

Oh, and we do Summertime: http://tinyurl.com/y7cb5x

Thanks again,

-tim

P.S. By the way, if there are any harp-lers who have MySpace sites
and want to link up as friends, just send a request to the band.  I
maintain the MySpace site (as dull as it is!).