RE: [Harp-L] Was Hendrix, now Smoke on the Water

"Mike Snowden" wrote:
<I'm not sure how you'd play this properly on a harp, as it gains its <energy
<from "power chords", ie root plus 5th From memory, the main riff is
<
<E5 G5 A5 | E5 G5 B5 A5 | E5 G5 A5 | G5 E5
<
<
<I'm not aware of any conventional harp tuning that would fit this <easily - or is this playable?

The notes listed above could be played as open 5ths easily on a Natural Minor or Dorian Minor harp in 2nd position, starting with the open 5th on draw 2 and draw 4.

Another way to do the job would be to use a pitch shifter. Set your basic tone up any way you like, and then use the pitch shifter effect to add either a perfect 4th below or a perfect 5th above. I've created a patch for the Digitech RP200 that includes a perfect 4th below. It is an ear-catching sound to say the least. I used it on a recent session for Italian singer-songwriter Ed Abiatti; the CD will be released this year.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com