Re: [Harp-L] blue sky

In a message dated 1/9/2007 1:16:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BiscuitBoy714 writes:

In a message dated 1/9/2007 11:45:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

         Gary, I can tell ya what  I do in cases like that. I try and keep
things simple. I've been a player for  a long time but I don't really know about
these positions. I know that I use  them but I don't know one from the other
really. Second position is playing in  E with an A harp and using the 2 hole
drawing as the root right? OK, well  anyway, sometimes I hold two diatonic's
and switch with the guitar players but  most of the time I just hold single
notes that apply during the changes and  wait till they get back to the root notes
to add fills. If there is a complete  chord change for a bridge or something
I use the right harp for that chord.  Especially this works in country (which
I'm not really into but they pay me)  There is most of the time a fourth chord
as opposed to 3 chord blues or Rock  and Roll, and it usually the second hole
blowing, I hold that note for the  change and then just play pentatonic blues
riffs for the other 3 major chords.  It works for me. When I hold these
single notes like that I like to have my  harp on a stand so I can use cupping
techniques, vibrato and the like.  Hope that helps a little.     PS if you really
want to  frustrate yourself try Whippin' Post with a diatonic and just stick
to the  root notes.
    Randy

at the  the jam the other night, the allman brothers' song
"blue sky" came  up.  i was pretty lost for a while, though i eventually
managed to  figure out something to play.  but the instrumental breaks,
where  the guitars are playing in chorus, was beyond me.  i can play a
reasonable accompaniment to this, but not the guitar parts, and  that's
what i want to do.

so i've been listening carefully, trying  to figure out how to play this.
seems like a good workout for  fluency.  but i could use some advice
on how to play this.  i  mostly play in 2nd position, and dabble in 3rd.
i believe the song is in  E.  if anyone could suggest an approach, tab out
a riff or two, or  send a recording with some explanation, i'd appreciate
the  help.

you can hear a little bit (though not the parts i'm talking  about)  at:
http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Peach-Allman-Brothers-Band/dp/B000003CMC/sr=1-3/qid=
1168360394/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-7983901-5811230?ie=UTF8&s=music

----
Garry  Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an  inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe  it...to  someone.