RE:[Harp-L] Coltrane half step riffs

Mike F asked:
Has anybody ever tried learning any of the half step
cyle riffs Coltrane used to do?

You mean stating an idea in one key, and then repeating it a half step higher? I haven't copied too many of Coltrane's riffs, except for maybe that thing he does all over the solo to Giant Steps (and variations of the pattern) - 1 2 3 5 on one chord, then the same thing on the next chord.

The stating of a musical idea in one key and then a half step higher
is one technique for going out of the tonality ("out" playing).  I
guess you know that.  In general I think it sounds better if you play
in, then out, and then in again (no smut please) - as if you go out
straight away, it can sound like you're playing in the wrong key.
Sometimes in a tune there will be a descending chromatic bass motion -
for example All Blues  - Eb7alt to D7alt back to the tonic G.  In this
case I might play an idea in Eb, then in D, and then keep going with
the descending chromatic line (and play the same idea in Db) instead
of basing the line on the root G.  This playing something completely
different really throws the listener momentarily, but in a good way,
as it is obvious that it is intentional. No, really!

Another way that the half step out playing works, if you play a
statement again in a different key or different part of the scale - is
that people identify with an idea already played, it's called a
sequence.

All the best,
Eugene
http://www.eugeneryan.com