Re: Subject: [Harp-L] San Francisco blues jams?

Hi Elizabeth, It's great to hear from a woman harp player!

...but am a bit stuck in a part of the country not overly conducive to access to jams

Bangor, Maine doesn't offer too much in the way of blues jams either... We have to get by with the country music jams and they have to put up with out blues and rock - n - roll. Secretly I think they enjoy it... and even let us know sometimes.

Chicago of course was an incredible
experience..."
....I can just imagine, but hope New York also left some good lasting impressions :)
Actually on that trip to NY we were doing a different music thing... we went to a "heavy metal/punk rock live band karaoke".. talk about an experience!

(if you don't mind hearing"Little Red Rooster"
played 2 or 3 times a night :-) )"
...Can't imagine any "new" Blues player getting bored...everyone brings their own flavour to it. ;)
"new" blues player, "old" blues listener...
No, not bored.. but when the same band plays it twice in one night... is "Little Red Rooster" the "Mustang Sally" of Chicago? just kidding! ;-)

and also like smaller clubs as sometimes in the bigger
clubs you have to wait 3 hours to play just 2 songs.. and it's harder
to interact with other musicians."
...This I just have to make a small comment on, since I've sat in as an audience member at the SPAH and Buckeye Blues Jams (for which people have paid a lot of money in dues, and hotel and travelling expenses to attend). There's not much difference in timeliness....while at a club (even a big one), the fact that you're getting to play AT ALL should be grounds for celebration. From the snippets I've gleaned from the list over these last couple of years, many long-time players sometimes rarely get to play at all in the kinds of jams you're talking about. "Listening with big ears" can be as good a learning experience when one is surrounded by really superb musicians.....and that's the key I think...TO interact with other musicians.
Well there's jams and venues for listening... and they are very much appreciated.. but you have to admit it's A LOT more fun when you get to play. So if I had the choice between 2 jams.. one where I would get to play 1 song and one where I would get to play 3 songs.. or maybe even more.. I would pick the one where I would get to play more. Now a SPAH jam may be worth just listening I'm sure.. I've never been to one.

It's also my experience from going to jams around the country that a player that comes to jam but doesn't get called up is not a happy player.. they will either complain or just leave and chances are they will not come back. I've also had the experience that if we walk in with musical instruments we are expected to play. Often time there isn't another harmonica player in the house (like in Wilmington even though it was definitely blues and it was definitely good) so if I'm not playing I better hide my case...

Not sure about list messages suggesting long-time players rarely get to play at jams... I haven't gleaned the same thing but can be corrected if I'm wrong... There is a difference between different types of clubs as far as opportunity to play... the smaller casual ones tend to offer a better chance.

I do TOTALLY agree with you that "Listening with big ears" is key and hearing good music is a cause for celebration!

One last thing... how many woman harmonica players are on here?
...just curious..."
Me...Bobbie Giordano, Gail Albin, Barbara Butler, Linda Fassett, Betty Welch, Michelle Free, Valerie Peterman come to mind off the top of my head...not to mention the countless others who read the list but don't often post: Judy Smith of the inimitable Al & Judy Smith of course....a lot of the other women chromatic players who spend a great deal of their time in the background or working behind the scenes for SPAH at the Conventions (but who don't post regularly or at all). There are very many more women playing harmonica than you think. I suspect that for women (unless they're full-time musicians), demands of home and family and the very nature of most Blues clubs and gigs keeps them away (unless having a supportive spouse as you do). You're very fortunate and in the best of all possible situations. I wish you great fortune in achieving your goals....would love to walk a mile in YOUR moccasins :)
I know I do have it good :-) My kids are grown now.. my youngest is 16.. so now it's my time to play!
I'd like to hear from these other woman harmonica players too...

Leslie