Fwd: [Harp-L] vocal vs harp mic

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Haka Harri" <harri.haka@...>
wrote:

The stereotype blues harp player is assumed to be using a harp
microphone such as a Green Bullet, an Astatic or something even more
sophisticated. Preferably with a customised crystal element. Which is
cool and a vital part of the sound of that particular player.

Just saw a clip of Butter doing Born in Chicago playing harp through
a vocal microphone. That reminded me of the question as to what kind
of mike is good/better/best for blues harp.

I bought a Green Bullet years ago but was never comfortable with it.
My playing has always been better with vocal mics. I used to think
that it had to do with professionalism (which I lack) but that
Butterfield video reminded me of many harp greats who use a vocal mic
not only for singing but also for harp.

I've discussed and debated this with friends and I know there is not
one simple answer to the pros and cons of these two mic categories
but would be nice to read comments from others on the list.

Harri

Hey, Harri.

I guess there is a question about old "dispatch" microphones (shure,
astatic, etc.) vs. "vocal" microphones (HiZ like 545, PE54 -- Butter;
LoZ like SM57, SM58, RE10 via a transformer), both played into an
amp.  But I think you may be talking about playing into an amp vs.
vocal into PA??

When I didn't live in the boondocks, I used to see Jr. Wells play
through a vocal mike (as I undrstand it, it was through the PA).
Also, when I saw James Cotton in the early 70's, I'm pretty sure he
was playing into a vocal mike on a stand and at some point took it
off and did the cupped overdrive thing with the same mike -- again
presumably into the PA -- but I wasn't savy enough to look!.  (Maybe
they were tube PA's?  I bet someone on the list knows.)  So there is
plenty of serious precedent for blowing blues into the PA!

I usually play on-stage with both a vocal on a stand for cleaner
country type stuff into the PA and a HiZ mike into an amp.  Almost by
accident the other night, I started playing the vocal mike more
cupped and it sounded pretty darn good -- happens to be an Audix
Fireball with the replacement element so the bass response was good.
Also, BTW, because I could hear myself on stage better through my
amp, I played some of the country-type stuff through the amp, just
not so tight-cupped/overdriven, and it also sounded appropriate to
the music.

Conclusion?  Beats me!

--John K.