RE: [Harp-L] vocal vs harp mic

Here is my thought, based on my own experience:

I prefer a "bullet" mic for the majority of my playing. I play chromatic
on a few songs, and the larger shell diameter helps separate the outer
edges of my hands (toward the audience) to accommodate the larger area
of the chromatic. If I use my Butterfield mic, a.k.a. Shure 545, my
hands are very close together at the back, in an attempt to grip the
mic, and make it slightly more difficult to compress the chromatic. The
front edges of my hands (toward me) are harder to "splay out" when I am
holding the narrow-barreled mic. The larger diaphragm of the JT30 and
Green Bullets also pick up more of the chromatic's sound from the back
of the harp, as it is virtually impossible to create a completely
airtight channel with a 12 or 16-hole chromatic. A 545 with a dime-size
directional element will not pick up the chromatic's full range as well
(when held in a single position) as the bullet's half-dollar-size
omnidirectional element. For diatonic playing, the 545 is exceptional,
and I highly recommend it.
The other style vocal mics, i.e. the Shure SM58-style with a big ball at
the end, are easier to accommodate the chromatic with, due to the ball
serving as a secure "non-slip" gripping surface. A lot of older
high-impedance "ball-type" vocal mics can be found pretty cheap on the
net, and offer a very good compromise between the tone/handling factors.

Just my opinion,

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL