RE: [Harp-L] San Francisco blues jams?

Leslie,

Check out Biscuits 'n Blues when you are there, it's right downtown.
They have a new upstairs area which I believe I heard hosts a blues jam.
Maybe Greg Heumann or Robert Gaustad will chime in since they're san
fran area folks. If not a jam they'll probably have a darn good show to
go to, they always have top acts like Jason Ricci.

I travel a lot as well and try to hit the jams. Some other jams to look
for if you are in the area(s) are the one at Blues Station in Columbus
Ohio, Warmdaddy's in Philly (new location), and the best one which I
think is ours at the 40 & 8 Club in Harrisburg, PA. Now that one is at a
real old-style crowded, smokey juke-joint type place in a field (you
park in the grass or dirt) with cheap booze, an old porch where you can
drink and great music and all kinds of "excitement" on any given
Thursday! A great group of folks from many races and walks of life, no
"house band", just put your name on the clipboard and wait your shot.
Better for beginner/intermediate players early on because later in the
night the pro-level hot shots get up there and torch the place!
Sometimes they even bring up some "ringers" from the delta down south.
On harp, you get everything from hacks like me to pros like Mike Easton
and Daine Paul Russell when they are there. Sorry to gush, but I've been
all over and to me this place is the epitome of a blues joint/jam, at
least best you can get north of the mason dixon from what I've
experienced. I just don't get the "vibe" in these newer, shiny neon
polished bars with big parking lots and a freeway or shopping mall
outside. A friend went to DC's last night (Sunday) and said it was good
but I don't know where it was held.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA