[Harp-L] Help with Delta Dawn

I need some help from my diatonic-playing friends.

I am scheduled to be in a theatrical where I will be mostly playing guitar & chromatic and singing.  I have been asked to play some backup harmonica on several songs.  I can handle most of it on my chromatic but one piece needs a diatonic sound. I'm trying to decide whether to try it or to decline.

On the Tanya Tucker recording of Delta Dawn, there are about 14 measures of the verse in Bb that have some bluesy, "crying" fills at the end of the vocal phrases. The verse lyrics start "She's forty one and her Daddy still calls her baby..."  I don't have to do it note-for-note but I would like for it to have the same type of sound. The chorus, "Delta Dawn what's that flower......",  is in C and has no harmonica.

 My questions are:

Q. Do I play in Bb cross-harp on an Eb diatonic?  I will have to buy the diatonic for this one piece.

Q. What diatonic will be easiest for me (not skilled in bending) to make "wail"?

Any answers and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

There is no pay, but if anyone is willing to come to Laguna Beach for some rehearsals ahead of time and performances on Feb 2 & 3, you can do it for me.  See http://www.nosquare.org/.

Thanks,

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com