Re: [Harp-L] On the Road Again,,and again

----- Original Message -----
From: <BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx>
>          You really learned from  Eddie Harris? Man, that had to be way
cool.
> I got a Eddie Harris album for  Christmas when I 16 and after that I
played
> every day practicing to that album.  IS IT IN? Grover too.
>      Very  cool         Randy
>
> I  learned from Eddie Harris.  He taught me to "syllablize."  And
trumpeter
> Bobby Wetzel who told me to remember always, that music should be  fun.
> That's why they call it playing

--------end-------

When Bobby tried to teach me trumpet I couldn't get my mind around making
all those notes with only 3 buttons.  Then I saw Eddie playing around with a
trumpet using a clarinet reed mouthpiece.  And the Sax with a trumpet
mouthpiece.  I didn't really hang out with him, but he did give me some
pointers, and the tip that stuck with me all these years. "Syllablize."  Is
that a word?  I had a "C Melody" sax I was learning on back then, and I
still have it but it needs rehab.

He went to Europe and I never saw him again.  I guess he was a bigger draw
over there and I don't blame him for going.  Black musicians didn't have to
deal with segregation in EU like over here in the US.  Besides jazz paid
better $$ too in EU.

He was doing electric amplified horn already.  I wonder if Little Walter
et.al. and electrified harp had any influence on him.

There were jazz and big band musicians in and out of the house all the time
when I was growing up.  And Jackie Gleason had his show down on Miami Beach
and had just bought a new house a few miles from here.  It kept me from
getting star struck but not from being a great fan and having admiration for
some of the more creative people I got to meet.  I guess I was cool back
then and didn't even know it.  <Har!>

I sure would have loved hanging with Miles.  Dream on.....

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!