Re: [Harp-L] Little Walter & Lee Oscar

"Kevin M. Duggan" <kevin_duggan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I met a really good harmonica player
> who uses Hohner Marine band or blues harps.
> This person buys maybe ten of these and
> finds roughly,  one good harmonica out of ten.

don't know about blues harps, but i'd be amazed about that many
marine bands being "not good", unless that just means not set up
exactly to his liking.  i think that as you advance beyond beginner
level, most harps could use some degree of tweaking to make them
play really well or fit your playing style.  but certainly the popularity
of these harps would suggest that *somebody* is getting good ones.
maybe hohner reserves all the bad ones for this guy, and once every
10 times a good one slips through.  :-)

but if he really means "can't be played or made playable", then why
does he keep buying them?

> Is there any advantage to playing a Marine band
> over a Lee Oscar?

the only advantage is if you, personally, prefer the
look/feel/sound/playability/image of the marine band,
vs. the LO.  if not, then no.

> I wonder if Little Walter was still around
> what he would be using?

probably a walker.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.