Re: [Harp-L] Little Walter & Lee Oscar

Kevin M. Duggan wrote:
> I met a really good harmonica player
> who uses Hohner Marine band or blues harps.
> This person buys maybe ten of these and
> finds roughly,  one good harmonica out of ten.
>
> I was really surprised to find this out,
> this is a well known harmonica player..
>
> When I play Marine Bands or any wood
> combed instument I find them leaky and hard to play.
>
> Is there any advantage to playing a Marine band
> over a Lee Oscar?

The Marine Band is a VERY different harmonica from the Lee Oskar,
beyond just the wood comb.  The design of the cover plates and the
materials and design of the reeds and plates give them a very
distinctive tone.  They are tuned very differently from the Oskar,
and are much better suited to chording and vamping.

There are plenty of contemporary blues harp players who prefer the
tuning and tone and feel of the "original" Marine Band.  Some
consider the fact that they are leaky and hard to play to be
challenges that have an influence on their tone and technique.

-tim