RE: [Harp-L] Help

Don't unsubscribe. You're new here. It takes a while (and some bumps in
the road) to figure out what you can say and can't say. This list is
distributed to many people all over the world. Of course, some are going
to be very sensitive people in a group this big. Very sensitive. Some
like to express outrage just to be expressive, or to feel secure in
being defended by others, to be "loved", or whatever. Some people just
love the drama. Sometimes you'll see posts from folks who seem to incite
riots, those are fun as long as people are expressing opinions and
behaving in general, even if they are being contentious to some degree.
There are brilliant and hence very opinionated people here. I love to
learn from them, you won't get to do that if you go away.

It's best to read everything you send twice and then delete about half
of it, haha. I learned that too. Don't try to be *too* funny, remember
this is world-wide so many cultures and sensitivities, creeds, etc.
Anything even slightly off-color won't work. With this many people, just
about anything you say is bound to p*ss someone off. Sometimes you have
to understand it's more of a problem with them than you. I'm not saying
that's the case in your posts, I don't even remember what it was you may
or may not have said to upset someone. I only keep a select core of
messages from here, the 'gems'!

When this happens to me, I try to figure out whether I was wrong or it's
just some overly-sensitive person reacting and go from there. If it's
me, I usually get a little ding-dong from the list moderator to help me
understand that, haha. If it's the latter case, I usually just say "what
a nut" and let it roll off my back.

But hang around, over all it's a great place. We've all learned these
lessons.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA