RE: [Harp-L] tuning and tools

What type of a setup do you need
to tune/gap diatonic harmonicas.

I would like to buy a kit or a book
if possible.

I have never tried manipulating the reeds
besides pulling the covers off to clean.

Thanks

Kevin

To get started all you need is something like a Lee Oskar tool kit and a cheap electronic tuner such as the Seiko SAT500. You can do a pretty decent job on most diatonics with just these. Just add a small, cheap, flat-bladed screwdriver. When you get going you'll add to this but I didn't need much else for years. The Lee Oskar kit comes with a manual which explains the basics quite well. The old, hackneyed advice is the best. Practise only on old, knacker's-yard harmonicas till you get good.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm