Re: [Harp-L] On the Road Again,,and again

In a message dated 1/1/2007 10:43:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
leone@xxxxxxxx writes:

                  Ric, I'll tell ya a little cheater thing you can do, this
is how I learned what  notes were harmony when I was a kid. If you play guitar
you can play a bar chord  and the notes within that bar chord are the major
harmony notes. If you  play keys those three chord positions that you first
learn have the three notes  in them that make simple harmony. Same goes for minor
chords and 7th's and so  on. I lud dat funk and a lot of times I play the note
to make a minor or 7th  even when I'm playing by myself without other horns.
I learned a lot by playing  harp to Shotgun by Jr Walker and the Allstars.
Listen to the organ part and pick  out all those notes in the chords the guy is
playing. Usually any note in the  pentatonic scale will work  Hope that helps.
                 Randy

Ric

> -Here's the deal Ric. One Sax plays the tonic,  the horn (maybe a
> trumpet) plays the dominant, and another sax,  clar, bone, etc,
> plays the sub-dominant.

Like one guy is on the Bb chord another on a 3rd and another on a
5th. (Like a barbershop quartet.... harmony)

OR, if one horn is  playing straight, the other may be in the same key
BUT placing fills  and accents into the rests of the first   horn.
smo-joe