Re: [Harp-L] On the Road Again,,and again

On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Ric Shafer wrote:

Interesting, Scott, where you said, "Oh, here's a shock. I play saxophone too, and know what a horn section
does. And I treated the harp as just another horn."

I don't play sax, and haven't played in a horn section, so I'd like to hear just a little more detail about what a horn section does. (Apologies in advance to others who are horn players.) Thanks!

Ric

-Here's the deal Ric. One Sax plays the tonic, the horn (maybe a trumpet) plays the dominant, and another sax, clar, bone, etc, plays the sub-dominant.

Like one guy is on the Bb chord another on a 3rd and another on a 5th. (Like a barbershop quartet.... harmony)

OR, if one horn is playing straight, the other may be in the same key BUT placing fills and accents into the rests of the first horn.
smo-joe