[Harp-L] re:nails in combs

On Feb 28, 2007, at 10:38 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:29:50 -0500
From: "Chesper Nevins" <chespernevins@xxxxxxxxx>

This is a great explanation that makes sense to me. Thanks, Mike.

I wonder, couldn't the customizer just have said this to the customer
with questions?

I don't know the situation for the customizer at the time. When customers ask me for my phone # I tell them I prefer to communcate via email.
This way I can think about their question(s) and give a more truthful answer rather then something off the top of my head.

Or is the customizer so busy he is unable to talk to
the customer for more time than just taking the order?

Sometimes that can be the case. We allow ourselves so many hours a day to work on harps then we want to be with our families.
The more time one spends on the phone the longer we have to stay at the bench to finish that days work.
When customers email me I can answer their questions before I start work or after I finish for the night. Emails allow the time to think through a customers questions and give a
thorough answer. Emails also create a record of the conversations so the harp tech can go back to it if needed. We trade off maybe 4-10 emails by the time
I finish their harps. I would never get work done if the phone were ringing all the time.
When I talk to fellow harp techs it's only by email unless it's an emergency. I know their busy schedule and they know mine but we are still able to keep in touch and
reply at our leisure.

mike