Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

I should have mentioned in my earlier post,
that the custom Marine Band harps (that I own)
that do have nails in the reedplates, play very
well--much better than an out of the box stock
Marine Band.

This tells me that they are air-tight, even with
the nails.  The wood combs have been sealed, so
re-applying the nails by the customizer is not the
same as sticking a nail back in the original hole,
as it has sealant that has penetrated the hole (I
would assume).

And of course the reeds have been worked and adjusted
to play very well (not just a sealed comb).

I am not hard on my harmonicas... I don't play hard
or excessively on any of my custom or stock harps.

The issue I have with nails, is that I can not easily
take the harp apart for quick adjustments or tune-up.
I'm sure the customizers (if I still have current
contact and address information) would be glad to
service
the harmonica, either for free or just a small fee to
cover shipping, etc.

I'm sure that even if I took the harp apart and fouled
it
up even more, the customizer would still fix it,
although
I would expect a tongue lashing or two as well.

Now how did that fly sh!t get in my pepper! !!

Ken H in OH

--- Ken Hildebrand <airmojoken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've bought a few 'custom' Marine Band harps over
> the past few years, that still have the nails
> holding
> the reedplates on (instead of screws).
>
> I was kind of disappointed to see this in a 'custom'
> harp, but the customizer must think that the nails
> are good enough, and/or if the reedplastes need to
> be
> removed, then it should be sent back to the
> customizer
> for service.
>
> In any case, I find it disappointing that some
> customizers still use nails or have reverted back to
>
> using nails (from using screws).

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com