Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

Why does logic never play a  part in these discussions? Well, I guess it does
but I don't see the need  to pick fly s*^% out of pepper when it comes down
to the functionality of a  harmonica. I switched to SP 20's when they first
came out, and the biggest  single reason I did was because they used screws
instead of nails. I knew (and  still don't really) nothing about gapping, embossing
or anything custom, I just  knew that I could never get my harps to play
right after I took 'em apart  because of the nails. I only took apart my harps
because of a stuck reed and  most of the time that was at a gig with maybe 10
minutes before I hit the stage  again, and I wasn't going to miss out on my lead
in LaGrange. Turns out the SP  20's lasted longer for me anyway, and I liked
the sound better, but my point is  the screws function better, period. If the
floating reed plate is an issue why  doesn't somebody use a rubber mount or
similar substance between the reed plate  and the comb? Like a motor mount kinda,
and then use screws. If the reed plate  or the comb is so warped that it has
to be held down by screws I don't want it  anyway, I just like to be able to
take 'em apart to see the cool little reed  thingy's vibrate. HE HE OK, proceed
to verbally throw shoes at me now, I have a  pillow to block 'em with.
       Randy
http://www.aol.com.