Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

Richard Hunter wrote:

The only way I can see that this might be an advantage is if the comb isn't machined perfectly flat or the reedplate
is warped--i.e., if the harp is poorly made. Otherwise, how is this "floating" a good thing? If the plate's not flat to the comb, wouldn't that inhibit the
efficient transmission of vibrations from the plate to the comb? And isn't that the point of having the plates
on top of the comb in the first place?

Actually I think the idea of having the reed plates fastened to the top and bottom of the comb is that this allows the tines of the comb to create air passageways to the pairs of reeds top and bottom. As I understand it the current accepted explanation for how harmonica reeds make sound is that they chop the air and the comb does not play a role in the actual transmission of the reed's sound to a listeners ear. A harmonica with the covers removed makes a barely audible sound when the reeds are plucked and yet if you take a single reed plate and blow or draw through any one of the individual reed slots that note will sound as loud or louder than a conventionally assembled harmonica that includes plates tightly fastened to the comb. fjm