RE: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

(First, I don't like conspiracy theorists.  I will actually send conspiracy theorists "evidence" to support their wild claims just to make fun of them.  Oh, c'mon, it makes me feel good (and it's better than kicking puppies).  Anyhow, I'm surprised no one else has connected these dots yet...or maybe my conclusion is just wrong.  If so, based on past experience, I'm sure no less than six people will tell me immediately.  I'll know I'm right if this thread is hijacked and turned into a discussion that includes Civil War historians and things like that.  =|  )

So harp manufacturers make more money by selling more harps...and harps apparently need to be opened up fairly soon after buying them and fairly often thereafter, but doing so causes problems that can very easily make the harp unplayable requiring the purchase of a new harp.  Hmm.  I think we may have unraveled this mystery.

Similarly, customizers generally dislike it when people go in after them and tweak (okay, ruin) their work...and keeping the original nail configuration helps prevent that.  And changing to screws is more work for arguably relatively little benefit assuming the consumer doesn't routinely disassemble and reassemble after customization.  Or maybe (similar to the first point) the nails lead to more frequent customized purchases.  Throw in a story about the benefits of nails over screws and you're covered.

Maybe it really is always about the money.

Anyhow, someone needed to throw this potentially unpopular point out there, if for no other reason than for it to be thoroughly refuted and the poster be flamed to a crisp.  I put the names of every current harp-l subscriber into a hat and had a willing volunteer draw one and it was my own, so I picked up this banner (or is a standard more appropriate in this context?) and charged boldly into the fray.  Fire away.

Jonathan "doesn't really kick puppies to make him feel better...any more" Compton

<<<You know that's a total lie...try that again...>>>

Jonathan "has never really kicked puppies to make him feel better...however, cats are another story" Compton

<<<C'mon, seriously, you're going to get hate mail telling you there's nothing funny about that as it is, why make it worse?  One last shot at this...>>>

Jonathan "loves puppies and kittens...and rainbows (well, when they were just...)<<<just give it up and hit the send button>>>" Compton