Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

Getting the (nailed) plates off without distorting them is a
nightmare.............

I buy whole 270s and remove the covers and reedplates for use in Hands-Free-Chromatics because it is cheaper than buying the parts separately from Hohner. Here is my technique for removing reedplates without bending or otherwise damaging them.

I force a straight-edged razor blade under the plates all around the back and sides. This forces the plates away from the comb by only the .010" thickness of the blade. Then I press the plates back down against the comb leaving about .010" or less clearance under the nail heads. I grasp the nails with a cuticle nipper (looks like a small pair of diagonal cutters) and pull them out. Buy your wife a new set of nippers and keep the old ones for removing harp nails. This also keeps the nails straight. A little grease on the blade helps it to slip under the plates.

Vern

Thanks for the tip, Vern, which will certainly come in useful. But doesn't it just make you think that Hohner just hate us tinkerers? ;-)

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Exclusive Ed Byrne daily comedy clips on MSN Video http://specials.uk.msn.com/edbyrne/