Re: [Harp-L] Re: Gettysburg Harmonica-Wilhelm Thie, Vienna

I've seen the photo; the cover is stamped with the word "Patent" but
with no date, and with a couple of medallions containing the words
"Gold Medal" flanking what appears to be the double eagle of the
Hapsburgs (Austrian imperial family resident in Vienna) and the words,
"Wilhelm Thie Wien" (Wien = Vienna).

The instrument, photographed from the top and looking down on the
covers, appears to be a double-sided tremolo, as the vent holes in the
covers reveal the line running between two back-to-back reedplates, and
several reed slots whose length is within the bounds of the
front-to-back bounds of the two reedplates. Also, you can see one row
of 16 top holes in one edge of the harmonica, and covers that curve
down to meet the reedplates on both front and back edges, consistent
with a harmonica meant to be played along both long edges. So it likely
has two stacks of 16 holes on each side - 64 holes instead of the 32
described. Each side of the harmonica would have a range of two octave
if it follows the standard German tuning known to be in use since at
least the late 19th Century.

This harmonica was not found at the battlefield at all. As Garry
originally quoted from the email he received:

> We have designated it as GETT 28263, and it was purchased from an
> auction house in 1987.

So this harmonica has no discernible link to the Battle of Gettysburg
at all.

The rationale for the museum buying it is unknown. It is not typical of
the harmonicas featured in American instructional books of the 1870s
and 1880s, which were single-reed Richter system instruments (the
construction, not the tuning, which encompassed one or two variants on
the German Major tuning now widely used).

Winslow