Re: [Harp-L] Mics?

----- Original Message -----
From: <Kel620@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Mics?

> I play harp(Marine Bands) through a Fender Blues Junior using a  JT-30.
Are
> there any mics produce a better tone?

Answer:  My opinion, No, I don't think so.  I think a JT-30 with a shure
Controlled Reluctance 99A86 element is absolutely the best honking Chicago
Blues mic there is.  Controlled Magnetic 99A86, 99B86 and 99H86 are also
pretty darned good.  Many of the original JT-30 crystal mic elements aren't
as hot as they once were, if they still work at all.  Crystal Astatic
elements are notoriously fragile and a drop can kill them dead, as will
sudden weather changes or years of humidity.  Don't leave one in your car
during the summer. A JT-30 with a Shure element is my mic of choice.
Usually, the same rubber gasket if it is still flexible will fit the Shure
element and simply cutting and soldering the wires and insulating the
solder-joints will complete the swap.  An easy job.  I used to think I had a
good JT-30 with original Astatic MC-101 element till I heard another one
with a much better element.  Then I got ahold of a Shure Controlled
Reluctance and I was hooked.

However, the Blues Jr. might not be able to make best use of that mic
without feeding back in stock-from-the-factory condition.  You might want to
replace the preamp tube 12AX7 with a lower gain tube lke a 12AT7 or even a
12AU7.  The stock speaker from Fender is also less than ideal for blues
harp.  Ted Weber can recommend the proper speaker for "that tone" -
webervst.com

I'm sure there are more experienced mic & amp tinkerers on here than I am,
so let's hear from them.  I'm also certain that as many folks on here that
might respond to your question will be the number of different opinions you
might get.

I'm interested in hearing what they have to say, because I know that I don't
know what I'm talking about.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!