Re: [Harp-L] cracked chrom body

You can fix it. Here is how:

If the "nails" are long and extend through the opposite reedplate, you will remove them by putting their heads in a small hole in a block and tapping from the other side of the harp on the tips with a punch and a small hammer.

If the nails are just into the wood comb, force a single-edged razor blade under the plates to lift the them about .010". Then press them back down and pull the nails out with a pair of cuticle nippers. Buy you wife a new pair and keep these for removing harp nails.

Here is the repair procedure:

0. DO NOT apply any wax to the crack in a prelimimary attempt to fix it. This will prevent the epoxy from adhering.
1. Cut two pieces from a thin plastic grocery bag, 2" larger in each dimension than the reedplates.
2. Mix a small quantity of epoxy, available from your local hardware store. I like JBWeld because it is filled with powdered metal and will fill the gap in the crack but not run too badly. It is also very strong.
3. Using a flat toothpick as a tool, fill the crack with epoxy. If the comb is in two pieces, butter both halves with epoxy.
4. Stretching it smooth, place pieces of plastic between the reedplates & comb. This will keep the glue off of the reedplate if/when it runs.
5. Replace the nails, rivets, or studs.
6. Completely reassemble the harp including mouthpiece assembly and covers. This acts as a splint for the comb and assures that it is straight as the glue dries.
7. Place the harp, mouthpiece up, on a piece of waxed paper and in a warm place. If the glue runs, it will run away from the slide and will not stick to the waxed paper.
8. Wait intil the next day.
9. Disassemble the harp.
10. Using an Xacto knife, scrape/cut away any excess glue that may have run about on the inside of the chambers.
11. If the epoxy has run out of a very wide crack gap, it may be necessary to repeat steps 1-9.
12. Reassemble the repaired harp. It should be OK.

Please let me know how this works out for you.

Vern

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Kerkhoven" <solo_danswer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>