Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

The cheapeest of the cheap haprs made in China are held together with
screws - usually far more screws than a Special 20.

So it's not a cost issue with the Marine Band and nails.

Rick Epping has articulated the belief - and I apologize in advance if
this paraphrase from memory is a mischaracterization - that nails allow
the reedplate to float above the comb in a sort of dynamic relationship
that allows them to vibrate more freely and perhaps adapt to small
changes in the size and shape of the wooden slab.

The wooden-combed Echo series of tremolo harmonicas are also nailed
together as are the wood-combed Auto Valve and the standard version of
the 270 chromatic. All the 364 and 365 model I've bought in the last
year or so - including one SBS - have been nailed together as well.

Two thing I have found in favor of nails are:

--When you want to have points of fastening close to the covers, nails
can get much closer to the cover edges than screws due to their smaller
and flatter heads.

--As nails do not penetrate through to the other side of the comb, they
can be placed in a pattern that is optimal for fastening each
individual reedplate. To do this with screws you have to embed several
individual thread receivers in the comb in both sides, or use a
material hard enough that it can be threaded - procedures far more
complex and expensive than using nails.

Winslow