Re: Re: Re: [Harp-L] DVD audio question

"Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a recording given to me by a friend
> that he ripped in this way, and about every 10-15 seconds his
> Outlook message notification dings.  I still think I'm getting mail
> when I listen to that song ;-)

that's funny.  it's like in the old days, when i had albums that had skips on
them.  whenever i'd play the song in my head, i'd hear the skips.  and
when i'd hear it on the radio, it always sounded wrong without them.

> There's a freeware program called Exact Audio Copy (EAC for short)
> that rips from CDs to MP3s, and works quite well.  It even
> interfaces to an external database for CD information, if you like,
> so you don't have to name the tracks yourself.

EAC has long been *the* standard among traders.  the "exact" in the name
is key, as it will read and reread the tracks multiple times until it is convinced
that it has the data just exactly right.  there are flaws in the cd format that make
this necessary to get it right.  it may not matter to everyone, but for purists who
want no degradation over successive generations, it mattters a lot.

for linux users, cdparanoia is the key, and uses similar technigues to get
it right (hence the "paranoia" part of its name).

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

do for others with no desire of return.
we should all plant some trees
we will never sit under.