Re: [Harp-L] Soaking a wood harp

I use a 50/50 mixture of Vick's Vapo Rub and baby oil (heated hot) to soak wood combs (but just for chromatics)
smo-joe

On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:11 PM, Daniel Bernard wrote:

Easy answer. Soaking then drying wood takes out the natural oils. If you want to treat the wood so that it lasts long, use some kind of wood extract or petroleum product that is edible. Vaseline comes to mind, but there is probably a warning on the label about internal use. Cooking oil would work. But it would also spoil and attract insects. Don't sue me. I forget what the lingo is for these kinds of products. It has been a few decades since I worked with wood. There must be something liquid that is safe to put into your mouth and doesn't evaporate. Any ideas guys? Any Pharmacists out there? Liquid = good seal, Dry = bad seal, water = good now = bad later.