Re: [Harp-L] Theory, etc. - history of positions

I would suggest that the only thing less rare than writings about Civil War
era harmonicas is the harmonicas themselves.

The real test about Civil War harmonicas is this: If there were so many of
them around during the Civil War how come lots of them have not been found?
People have been collection items from the battlefields of the Civil War since the
shooting stopped. If really true, there ought to be lots of old rusty
harmonicas around -- almost as many as old rusty pistols.

The Civil War harmonica rivals the expanded facts surrounding the New Orleans
casket girls who arrived from France with their "caskets" (like a hope chest
full of linen and clothes) looking for suitable suitors in the New World in
the 1730s. At the time, most of the women living in New Orleans were
prostitutes. However, the fecundity of these casket girls was so great that nearly
everyone born after their arrival in the New World traced his lineage to the casket
girls -- not the whores.

What is even rarer than a Civil War harmonica or real descendant of the
casket girls is a granddaughter of a casket girl who played the harmonica!

                                         * * *

Another canard about the Civil War is that Lincoln played harmonica. It
supposedly dates from the quote: "Douglas needs a brass band but I only need a
harmonica." which is supposed to be from Lincoln popular biographer Carl Sandburg.
But Robert Lincoln always said he never knew his father to be musical and he
never saw him with a harmonica.

And that "hoax quote" about Lincoln smoking hemp and playing his harmonica
comes from the web site that promotes legalizing marijuana. There is no evidence
of this beyond the web page.