RE: [Harp-L] Theory, etc.

> This brought up a question to me that I haven't seen before on the list.> Who is credited for inventing cross harp? i'm assuming it was some old time> poor uneducated musician but how the hell did someone come up with the idea> of playing a harp a 4th above the tonic key?> > ms
[This is a "create your own message/response" message requiring active reader participation to fully appreciate.  Look for these opportunities in the brackets below.]

They came up with the idea of "playing a 4th above the tonic key" (your words, not mine) without even remotely considering the concepts of "4th", "above", "tonic", or "key".  [Insert nitpicking observation on difference between "4th above" and "5th below" here.]  They did, however, have a richter-tuned diatonic harp so they tried different ways to make music with it that they liked.  [Initiate or continue lengthy thread on "music someone likes" vs. "good music" here.]  At some later date, someone else explained in musical terms what they were doing.  [Optional: express (real or feigned) personal offense to some or all of these terms: old time, poor, uneducated.]

Please note, this answer is my own theory based entirely on my own preconceived notions and absolutely no facts whatsoever.  I'm pretty sure I'm right, however, I could be totally wrong.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed by a post that explains how the cross harp concept was based on an intricate theory of some math student's thesis or dissertation for some advanced mathematics degree...(a concept he initially started developing after someone told him that he lacked the musical sophistication to appreciate real...oh, forget it...just insert your own "jazz snobbery" anecdote here).

[Insert paragraph on distinction between "inventing", "discovering", and "developing" here.]

[Make obscure, ancient harp-l reference, inside joke, or vaguely related punch-line here.]

[Extra credit: Make joke about "tonic".  However, points will be deducted for any attempted humor about "poor" and "musician" (even if you just thought about it and didn't even post it).]

Jonathan "whose turn is it to remind the new people to use their full names on posts?" Compton
Chesterfield, MO (about three miles east of where the Johnson's used to live and a quarter mile south of the big oak tree)